Friday 13 March 2015

CHEMOTHERAPY BEGINS

Wednesday 11th March: It's finally here, the day I start chemo. I wake up in a full positive mood, almost a feeling of euphoria that the day is finally here and I can start treatment to get me on the road to me again. I have breakfast in bed and play lots of load music. I could almost go out now and have a good dance with my friends. I write some blog and do some meditation. I feel relaxed. I am ready for this. 

Appointment is late afternoon. My phone is full of good luck messages. Love my family & friends. I am feeling anxious, it's the unknown isn't it? The oncology department in Juaneda is just wonderful, the staff are so attentive and caring (well guess they should be really, considering the treatment they are administering!). So I arrive, see the doctor and I am shown to box 7. Box 7 is nice. I have a big reclining  chair with lots of blankets and pillows if required, 2 guest chairs, a TV with various channels including BBC 1 & 2, free wifi, on-suite bathroom and refreshments available to me. If it wasn't for the fact that I have cancer, it would be a fairly nice place to go for a couple of hours to get away from the usual hustle & bustle of being a busy working mum...

I was anxious for how they would attach the chemo line to my port a cath. They cleaned the area and I was told to take a deep breathe after the count of three and there, it is done. My nurse Laura, is amazing. We get by in English and Spanish and she explains everything so patiently. She laughs at my dark English sense of humour and I just know that we will get on famously over the next 6 months. So the line is in and I have my anti nausea medication first then followed by two bags of the chemotherapy. I'm left to relax. I feel it going into my body for the first few seconds, strange knowing you have poison pumping so freely into you. I used to suffer terribly from severe panic attacks and had a deep fear of dying, so much so that I needed professional help to overcome this fear. So, even now, anything that feels unnatural in my body can set of a panic attack, but I have learnt to stop them within the first few seconds. Well, as I felt that chemo entering into my body, I could feel myself slightly panicking, I had to tell myself it was all ok and Chris gave my feet a squeeze to tell me it was going to be ok.  We get to 7.30pm and it is all done. I am then introduced to Charley the Chemo pack, it is attached to my port a cath and off we go home. I am to have another 36 hours of chemotherapy at home. Back on the Friday 13th to be disconnect from Charley and then the process starts all over again in 2 weeks time.




What is FOLFOX 


FOLFOX is the name of a combination chemotherapy treatment. It is also known as Oxaliplatin de Gramont or OxMdG, which means Oxaliplatin modified de Gramont. It is made up of the drugs
  • FOL – Folinic acid (also called leucovorin, FA or calcium folinate)
  • F - Fluorouracil (5FU)
  • OX - Oxaliplatin

Common side effects (in case you want to know, because I am asked all the time!!)


More than 10 in every 100 people have one or more of the side effects listed below.

  • An increased risk of getting an infection from a drop in white blood cells – it is harder to fight infections and you can become very ill. You may have headaches, aching muscles, a cough, a sore throat, pain passing urine, or you may feel cold and shivery. If you have a severe infection this can be life threatening.  So basically I need to stay away from any germ ridden people. Please always wear a face mask on our lunch or coffee dates, I would but chances are I might be losing my hair so really do not need to draw any more attention to myself!  Don't be vain, cover up :-)                                                                                                                                                    
  • Tiredness and breathlessness due to a drop in red blood cells (anaemia) – you may need a blood transfusion. How do you define tiredness? I was tired before I got the cancer and before I started the chemo. I am a working mother who likes to burn the candle at both ends. Is this drop dead tiredness or just general I can't really be arsed to get out of bed tiredness. We need a benchmark here!!! 
  • Bruising more easily due to a drop in platelets  – you may have nosebleeds or bleeding gums after brushing your teeth. Or you may have lots of tiny red spots or bruises on your arms or legs.
  •  Oh that will be something to look forward to with the summer upon us and little summer dresses to wear, always looks better with an arm/leg full of bruises or spots.  
  • Tiredness and weakness (fatigue) during and after treatment – most people find their energy levels are back to normal within 6 months to a year. 6 months to a year...you are f*&king kidding me on. I need to try and prove this wrong. Surely diet can assist to the rebuilding of your energy?
  • Numbness or tingling in the fingers and toes happens to nearly everyone having oxaliplatin and is usually worse if you are cold. You may have trouble with fiddly tasks such as doing up buttons. This can start a few days or weeks after treatment and usually goes away within a few months of the treatment finishing. Another interesting side effect is that you will not tolerate eating or drinking anything above room temperature and even entering the fridge is hazardous!  Crazy, I ate a banana this morning and it was cold, set my teeth alive with tingling. The same with a glass of water, felt as though my tongue was swelling up. I now have a pair of wool gloves on top of the freezer!
  • Feeling or being sick happens to about 7 out of every 10 people but is usually well controlled with anti sickness drugs. Loss of appetite comes with the nausea = weight loss. Every cloud and all that!
  • Hair loss or thinning of hair. Now I have thought about this long and hard. I love my hair but have recently had it cut shorter to give it some strength. If I lose my hair then I will be creative and can always have a couple of wigs. Husband has always wanted me red and I thought I might flirt with a big Beyonce style :-) In the scheme of things, when I win this battle if I have no hair, then it will be a big bald trophy to show I bet cancer and survived the chemo.
  • Diarrhoea happens to 6 out of 10 people. All I will say on this matter is that Colon Cancer produces all sorts of unexpected bathroom visits. Chris and I went out for a drink before my treatment started and lets just say, it ended with me in the bathroom, half naked trying to wash my jeans and then realising that there was no hand dryer to dry them!!!!!! 
  • Sensitivity to the sun. This should make for an interesting summer. I live in Mallorca and the long hot Balearic summer is about to begin. Oh but don't worry you can drink lots of cold drinks and sit in a cold pool - oh wait, no you can't as you will be suffering with Neuropathy! Ok, so I'll be the skinny bald bird by the pool in a full sunsuit with thick factor 50 sun cream whilst wearing gloves and socks.
  • A sore mouth happens to 4 out of 10 people. Surprised I have not got that yet, due to all the WTFs that have escaped my mouth during this 2 month journey so far.
  • Loss of fertility - you may not be able to become pregnant. WHO FEELS SEXY DURING CHEMOTHERAPY ???????????????


Thursday 12th March: I slept really well with Charley the chemo box, although he does make this strange camera zoom lens shutting noise every few minutes as it gives me another dose of the poison. I start the day with an incredible urge to throw up. Oh the nausea has set in. Surprised it had so quickly. I take my anti sickness tablet, forgetting about the cold drink thing and instantly my tongue and back of throat tingle, very strange sensation, it's almost as if your throat would close and choke you. I get up and spend some time with the littles and au pair at the breakfast table. They brighten my day, all three of them.

My au pair was supposed to go home to Italy in March but after finding out my diagnosis she decided to stay. I can not express how much this lovely soul makes a difference to our house, to my girls and how much it helps me her being here right now. We love you Alessia.

I had a few tears today. They are overwhelming when they come. It feels like a massive wave of grief, but the grief is not necessarily for me. It's just for the entire shitty situation. I want to be strong and I am strong but I can't help but feel like I have let people down by becoming sick. I am not good at letting people look after me, but I truly appreciate all the love and help that I am receiving right now. I cry in private so that the girls do not see me. Mummies are warriors right?  I cry with Chris because he just holds me and knows that it just needs to come out. Madison asked Chris the other day if I will die. No baby girl I will not die. I will fight through this treatment and I will beat Cancer. I am determined to learn something from this experience and it will not become a family member. 



1 DOWN... 11 TO GO !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment